Welcome to my writing corner. Here you'll find stand alone stories and tales that stretch much longer. You'll find tales ranging from medieval adventure to modern stories about real people with a sci-fi twist. If you like/hate what you read, drop me a line and let me know.

You can find the stories grouped by the labels just to the right.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

“Hero’s” Story – Chapter 7

My marriage went downhill pretty quickly. I couldn’t get the red haired woman out of my brain. My wife and I grew more distant too; we understood each other less and less. Then the sex went away completely, it made me think about the girl even more. Finally one night, I went to see her.

I flew to her window and saw her, face mostly healed, sitting, watching TV. After a few minutes I felt like a stalker so I tapped on her window. Till this day I don’t know why she didn’t call the cops, but she came over and opened her window.

“Hey” she said.

“Hey.” I hadn’t really planned what I’d say.

“So, thanks, you know,” she crossed her arms over her robe,” for the other night.”

I’d been thanked a lot; I’m still bad at accepting it so I just shrugged. “So, just checking in on you. You alright?”

“Yeah, I pressed charges. He moved out.”

“That’s good.”

“Wait, do you check on everyone you save?”

“Er, no, you’re the first.”

“So, why check on me?”

There were a million answers but I just shrugged again.

“Why don’t you come back tomorrow so I can repay you properly?”

“Okay, see you later.”

“See ya.”

I stopped two muggings and pulled a car out of a ditch on my way home that night.

I was more distant than usual the next day. Burned my toast, took the mirror off my car backing out of the garage, I got written up at work, but I didn’t care. I didn’t even go home after work that night. I had a drink and pulled an early patrol. Turned my cell phone off after ignoring eight calls from my wife wondering where I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment