Welcome to my writing corner. Here you'll find stand alone stories and tales that stretch much longer. You'll find tales ranging from medieval adventure to modern stories about real people with a sci-fi twist. If you like/hate what you read, drop me a line and let me know.

You can find the stories grouped by the labels just to the right.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

“Hero’s” Story – Chapter 8

I knocked on her window again. She came over and opened it slowly. Tonight she was wearing a dark purple dress; she’d done her hair, she was wearing makeup and perfume.

“I wasn’t sure you’d come.” She smelled like vanilla. “Why don’t you come in?”

I had the last twenty-four hours to guess how she’d repay me. My mind wandered to some pretty fantastic places.

“Cupcakes.” I tried to mask my despair.

“Chocolate cupcakes, and coffee too!”

They were delicious and the coffee was perfect, Jamaican. We ate and drank in silence for half a cupcake. When it started to feel uncomfortable I spoke up.

“These cupcakes are good, thanks – eh, I’m sorry, I don’t know your name.”

“Julie, I’m Julie.” There was an awkward pause, “What do people call you?”

“They don’t really call me anything.”

“No fancy superhero name?”

“Nope.”

“Not Superman or Incredible Guy or… Captain Crime?”

“Captain Crime?” Clearly Julie did not read comic books. She grew quiet; my tone had obviously offended her. “Want me to fly you?” I’d never flow anyone before.

“Sure, okay, is it safe?”

“I do it every day.” I wrapped my arms around her. She was warm and she smelled so good. We flew around the city, mostly in silence, for about an hour. I took her home, thanked her for the cupcakes and flew off. Julie, it felt good to share my secret with someone.

As I headed home, I felt a pang of guilt. Though I hadn’t done anything physical, I felt like I cheated on my wife. I would tell her first thing tomorrow, I’d tell her everything. About my powers, and my “missions”, about Julie, about everything. It was the only way to make things right.

I got home at 4:30am, I had flown and forgot my car at work. My wife was still awake, waiting for me when I walked in the door.

“I didn’t hear you pull up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment